Friday, April 16, 2010

A lot to be proud of!

Yesterday was a really great day for Cabrito and I - we got a lot done and for the first time I felt like he was really actually enjoying being with me. He was easier to catch in his pen, and then I took him to the round pen and did a little grooming. I don't want him to think that going to the round pen means work and nothing else. Then I got him saddled again (with no problem!) and began ground driving. I like to do that so they can learn and get accustomed to the cues that I will be using for walk trot and canter. Colts seem to pick that up so much quicker when you are on their back after you teach them from the ground. He handled it really well, and learned the cues pretty quick. Then I worked on putting my feet in the stirrups. He did real good with that so I went ahead and put some weight in them, and since that went well, I pulled myself up and leaned over his back from both sides. Yay! I think I'll be able to get all the way on by early next week, but I want to do a little more ground work first. So after all that went so well I took some time to groom him more. I wrapped the lead rope around the fence so he could start practicing being tied. He tried to walk away once but gave to the pressure and didn't walk off again. He is SO smart! I brushed his mane and tail out, which he seemed to enjoy immensely. I didn't want to give up the feel-good vibe we had goin on, so I took him on his first walk around the property and let him graze some. He is doing so well with leading and seems to really trust me. I couldn't be prouder of Cabrito and the progress he's making - he's turning out to be a very special horse!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome progress, Andie!!! The softness of his eyes in the photo tells the story from his perspective. Love the bonding stuff you are doing with him. You have my vote!
    Michelle Wright

    ReplyDelete